Please review the news release
from the Ontario Hockey Federation (OHF).
The changes announced today will go into effect starting in the 2018-19 season. RMHA believes that these modifications will create a positive learning and development environment for our younger players.
We are committed to ensuring that our future coaches are well equipped with the necessary tools and education that will enhance our young Rangers hockey experiences.
MESSAGE FROM THE PRESIDENT:
There is a lot of information pertaining to the upcoming changes that we have yet to digest. Its going to take us time to go through everything and make sure that we have the right systems in place. Rest assured we will do that as quickly as possible and we will provide that information to you along the way.
Some of the more frequently asked questions:
- What age groups does this new ruling affect?
- Starting in the 2018-19 season the newly implemented IP (Initiation Program) remains in effect for our young Rangers (6yrs and Under). We saw this programming take effect this season and it continues going forward.
- RMHA will make modifications to our HL division naming conventions to better reflect those changes. This will occur for the 2018-19 registration when it opens in April.
- Starting in the 2018-19 season our 7yr old players will participate in half-ice hockey. The focus is on skill development! Modified game formats will be implemented.
- Starting in the 2019-20 season those same changes will be implemented for 8yr olds. The format of their games / practices will begin on half-ice and then transition to full-ice later in the season.
- How does this affect the Novice AE & Novice Major Travel program?
- At this time it is still too early to know however our VP of Travel and myself will work closely with the other associations across our league to determine the future of that program. Travel hockey for that age group will *not* continue as we know it today however we may be able to deliver a modified format with other teams across the league.
- In addition by the 2019-20 season our Novice MAJOR Rep programming will undergo the same changes when the 8yr olds become part of the half-ice development model.
There is much information available on the Hockey Canada website as well as some instructional videos from regions that have already implemented this programming (PEI Hockey)
If you have questions related to these changes please don't hesitate to contact me directly via email at [email protected]
. I and the rest of your Board will do our best to find the *right* answers.
Anne Marie Schofield